Dogs are one of the most meticulous pets when it comes to food. Some dogs would follow their diet and eat the ideal dog food for them. However, some are too stubborn that they’d prefer human food more.
I’d give my pet a grilled hot dog if I can, but I know it’s not healthy at all for him. Hence, I have to look for the best-tasting dog food that I can find to satisfy his tongue. It’s a good thing that he loved the dog food I gave him. However, I had no idea at first on how to feed him properly through the right amount. Also, I was worried about overfeeding him.
When it comes to feeding dogs suitably, health is not dependable on the content of the food alone. The amount is also crucial because ingesting too much can also lead to undesirable complications.
Hence, it’s indeed necessary for me to know how much canned dog food equals 1 cup of dry food. I had to consider the following points as well when I measured my pet’s diet because this checklist will have a significant impact on setting the amount of food.
Few Points to Consider before Setting the Amount of Food to Give
If humans can overeat, so do dogs. It’s one of my fears for my pet, which is why I restrict the amount of food I give to him. I stick to his right diet to make sure that I keep him healthy. In setting the right amount, here are the things I considered:
- Check the Age or Stage of Life – It’s crucial to differentiate the nutritional needs of a growing pup from an aging one. These stages use a different amount of food for a young and an old dog, depending on their bodies’ need. I used to have an old dog before, and I take him to a veterinarian to seek advice regarding the amount and type of food that my pet needs.
- Check the Health – I also had to consider my dog’s health condition. It’s important to know if he has cancer or diabetes, so I can look for the ideal dog food that he can eat safely. Also, dental health is vital when it comes to chewing treats to protect his teeth from undesirable circumstances.
- Check the Activity Level and Body – There are active puppies, and there are not. My dog’s activity level is high, which is why I had to feed it with nutrient-dense foods. Moreover, since his body’s underweight as well, he’ll undoubtedly need to eat more nutritious dog foods.
- Check the Preference – I had some troubles in feeding my pet before, especially when someone from the neighborhood gave him human food. It took me how many weeks until I got him back to dog foods. I had to let him taste different dog foods until I found the brand that suited his taste.
- Check the Budget – Becoming a pet owner may feel fulfilling, yet its maintenance is not as easy as it looks. I check my budget and see what I can buy, which is not the least quality. Seldom times, I’m able to purchase high-quality foods, and it serves as my treat to him.
Also, considering the number of calories in every dog food is significant because it can also impact the amount of food that a specific dog needs. Excessive calories can cause problems in a dog’s health condition.
Cans to Cups: Determining the Right Dog Food Measurement
It’s essential to seek the advice of a veterinarian when it comes to measuring the equivalent cups of a dog food can. However, if there’s no time for visitation, here’s a guide that I used every time I measure the amount of my pet’s food:
- Up to 10 pounds – 1/3 to 1 cup of dry food is equivalent to 1/4 can.
- 10 to 25 pounds – 1 to 2 1/4 cups is equal to 1/2 can.
- 25 to 50 pounds – 2 1/4 to 3 3/4 cups is equivalent to 1 can.
- 50-75 pounds – 3 3/4 to 5 cups is equal to 1 1/2 cans.
- Over 75 pounds – 5 to 8 cups is equivalent to 2 cans.
To prevent diarrhea and upset stomach, I feed my dog at the same time daily. I feed my pet two to three times per day, and it makes sure that his bowl is cleaned every day as well. Furthermore, it’s crucial to keep all dog foods clean for further safety.
Useful Tips on How to Transition a New Dog Food
I also experienced switching one dog food to another due to my pet’s shifting preferences. I faced this struggle when I kept on buying different brands to get back into eating dog food. On the brighter side, my pet got used to transitions because of these tips. Here are some useful ways on dog food transition for new brands:
- On day one, I mixed 80% of old dog food with 20% of a new one.
- One day two, I combined 60% of the old one and 40% of a new one.
- On day three, I blended 40% of the old one with 60% of a new one.
- On day four, I mixed 20% of the old one with 80% of a new one.
- On day five, I fed 100% of the new food to my pet.
Regardless of any dog food category, such as generics, premiums, natural foods, homemade, or raw foods, these tips are applicable. However, it’s always best to seek the advice of a veterinarian to avoid unwanted health problems, especially obesity.
I always stick to my veterinarian’s advice when it comes to feeding my pet because it’s the proper way to feed him. Despite my desire to buff him up, I don’t force him to eat a lot to grow up and have a leaner body. Moreover, I highly discourage my family members at home to not feed him anything unadvised by the veterinarian.